About:

GNUGoS60 is a port of the FSF's GNU Go game engine to Nokia's S60 smartphone platform running on SymbianOS.

It is Free Software.

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Debugging the 6680: Forum Nokia's Remote Device Access

There is a longstanding bug in the S60 2nd editon port of GNUGoS60 that affects the 6680. I think it is probably also the same as reported by several people (including Dániel again a couple of days ago) for 6630 since those phones are basically identical in SW terms, the 6680 just having non-hideous mechanical design :)

The symptom is that it installs, but doesn't run. I have been wondering how I can begin to solve this, since I don't have access to a 6680 or 6630 to try and debug it on. I remember reading a while ago about Forum Nokia's Remote Device Access program before, but at the time it was only for S60 3rd devices. I checked back today though, and the have a couple of 2nd edition devices now, including the 6680:



I was able to logon to the server, connect the phone and install GNUGoS60v20-0.1.sis to the 6680, all through a java interface. It's pretty neat.



And yes, I was able to reproduce the bug easily, since the program does not start at all despite the successful installation. Well, now I have to go and create a test build with some logging enabled to start to track the problem. Unfortunately I also need to recreate a 2nd edition SDK build environment, since I had a hard disk fail, and my old one is kaput. I've been only working on 3rd edition for the last few months while adding the new features.

Anyway, I recommend any developer to use the Forum Nokia RDA service. It seems really useful. It would be nice to have more S60 2nd devices though.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

If need to test on some specific S60 device that is not on the system, you could request them on this thread (or emailing the RDA admin): http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109835

It can probably be arranged, at least temporarily.