About:

GNUGoS60 is a port of the FSF's GNU Go game engine to Nokia's S60 smartphone platform running on SymbianOS.

It is Free Software.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Memory Limits

In the 3rd edition port (the one that compiles :), I am starting to link the gui and the gnugo engine together at the moment. I ran into a memory problem pretty soon once I had got all my zero pointer dereferencing errors out of the way. The default max heap size is too small for GNU Go. "epocheapsize min max" to the rescue.

I am not really sure how much memory GNU Go needs to be able to run well. It tries to allocate 14 MB for some cache initally. I reduced that down to 2MB with no obvious ill effect in the startup, though maybe it will complain loudly at a later point. I may have to add some more intelligent code to that to allocate different sizes depending on what's available. Allocating 14MB out of the box on all S60 devices is obviously not so feasable :)

0 comments: