About:

GNUGoS60 is a port of the FSF's GNU Go game engine to Nokia's S60 smartphone platform running on SymbianOS.

It is Free Software.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

GNU Go in Fullscreen on N90

After much analysis of flogger trace files I finally found the reason for the application crashing on target device. A stack overflow was the cause (no big surprise there). Debugging took the best part of 2 days though because I had thought that I had already resolved all those stack overflows, but actually I had only ticked a mental box "I must fix all those stack problems". So much for memory :). I created a new bug on the GnuGoS60 project page now so that I don't forget to do a code inspection sometime and eliminate the more obvious of the remaining potential problems.

You can also see that this screen shot looks a bit different to previous ones. I have implemented one new feature (finally). This is the ability to have the board in full screen without the wasteful S60 title bar taking up screen real estate. It looks nice enough on the N90, though I'll need to try on some of the newer QVGA screens also since it will look slightly different.

Well, gnugo is now finally working well on a real device. This is big progress for me. The rest of the work is more or less just feature work. Filling in the blanks to bring the S60 port up to the same level as the ascii interface. I'll make a 0.1 release before it's feature complete though. Probably as soon as I implement some way to know who won the game and when I resurrect the 3rd edition version to see far it has rotted while I was focusing on getting the 2nd edition version working.

0 comments: